If you are planning on renovating an existing building, a building permit is required. Renovation project types include, but are not limited to;
- covered deck
- interior or exterior walls
- exterior changes to windows, doors or cladding
- fire damage repairs
- enclosing a carport to create a garage
- secondary suite
The links below are designed to assist you with your permit application. Each link includes the necessary information you are required to submit in order to help speed up processing your permit.
The more complete your application is, the faster you will get your permit.
Application: Residential Renovations - Single Family Dwelling, Duplex or Accessory Building [PDF - 114 KB]
A complete application includes:
- Five complete sets of plans.
- Completed application form.
- Owner signature or if you’re not the owner, an Agent's Authorization [PDF - 41 KB] from the owner.
- Application fee [PDF - 81 KB]
For more information to help you prepare a correct permit application submission. See below, or request hard copies from Inspection Services at the Municipal Hall.
- Residential Sample Drawings [PDF - 2 MB]
- Additional Permit Information [PDF - 131 KB]
- Building Bylaw [PDF - 642 KB]
- Rooms for Family Members Declaration [PDF - 56 KB]
If your project includes a Secondary Suite by way of an addition or conversion of non-living space to living space in an existing Single Family Dwelling, please refer to our Secondary Suite Checklist [PDF - 253 KB] and Secondary Suite Handout [PDF - 163 KB].
Secondary Suites are permitted in RS Zoned properties.
If you are wishing to construct a Rooms for Family Member area by way of a renovation or conversion of non-living space to living space to an existing Single Family Dwelling, please contact Saanich Planning at 250-475-5471 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about trees and development, applying for tree permits and the Tree Protection Bylaw contact Saanich Parks.