If you are planning on building an entirely new building measuring more than 10sqm (107sft), a building permit is required. Building area is measured to the outside surface of exterior walls. New Accessory building projects include, but not limited to;
- detached garage
- detached carport
- pump house
- pool house
Each accessory building you wish to build, require a separate building permit.
The links below are designed to assist you with your permit application. Each link includes the necessary information you need to submit in order to help speed up processing your permit.
The more complete your application is, the faster you will get your permit.
Application: Accessory Building [PDF - 124 KB]
A complete application includes:
- Five complete sets of plans.
- Completed application form.
- Current certificate of title dated within 30 days plus copies of any encumbrances registered against the parcel (Covenants, Rights-of-Way).
- Owner signature or if you’re not the owner, an Agent's Authorization [PDF - 41 KB] from the owner.
- Application fee [PDF - 81 KB]
Archaeological approval from the Archaeological branch of BC before you can start any excavation work on your property. Approval must be received prior to issuance of your permit. You can request this information about your property here: www.archdatarequest.nrs.gov.bc.ca
More information to help you prepare a correct permit application submission. See below, or request hard copies from Inspection Services at the Municipal Hall.
- Residential Accessory Building Sample Drawings [PDF - 1 MB]
- Additional Permit Information [PDF - 131 KB]
- Building Bylaw [PDF - 642 KB]
For questions about trees and development, applying for tree permits and the Tree Protection Bylaw contact Saanich Parks.
Please note: As of June 1, 2019 Step Code [PDF - 963 KB] applies to all new residential and commercial buildings. It is recommended that applicants familiarize themselves with the requirements of the Step Code and the use of a registered energy advisor, energy models and air tightness testing.