If you are planning on constructing a retaining wall greater than 1.2 m in height, then you will need a building permit.
The links below are designed to assist you with your permit application. Each link includes the necessary information you need to submit in order to help speed up processing your permit.
The more complete your application is, the faster you will get your permit.
Application: Retaining Wall [PDF - 160 KB]
A complete application includes:
- Five complete sets of plans.
- Completed application form.
- Letter of Assurance (Schedule B) from a Registered Professional engineer.
- Current certificate of title dated within 30 days plus copies of any encumbrances registered against the parcel (Covenants, Rights-of-Way).
- Owner signature or if you’re not the owner, an Agent's Authorization [PDF - 41 KB] from the owner.
- Application fee [PDF - 80 KB]
- Archaeological approval from the Archaeological branch of BC before you can start any excavation work on your property. Approval must be received prior to issuance of your permit. You can request this information about your property here: www.archdatarequest.nrs.gov.bc.ca
More information to help you prepare a correct permit application submission. See below, or request hard copies from Inspection Services at the Municipal Hall.
For questions about trees and development, applying for tree permits and the Tree Protection Bylaw contact Saanich Parks.