If you are planning on building an entirely new building, a building permit is required. New building projects include:
- Single family dwelling
- Single family dwelling – Rooms for Family Members
- Single family dwelling – Secondary Suite
- Garden Suite (apply for a Development Permit first)
The links below are designed to assist you with your permit application. Each link includes the necessary information you need to submit to help speed up processing your permit.
The more complete your application is, the faster you will get your permit.
Application: Single Family Dwelling & Duplex [PDF - 124 KB]
A complete application includes:
- Five complete sets of plans.
- Completed application form.
- Current certificate of title dated within 30 days plus copies of any encumbrances registered against the parcel (Covenants, Rights-of-Way).
- Homeowner Warranty (HPO)
- Owner signature or if you’re not the owner, an Agent's Authorization [PDF - 41 KB] from the owner.
- Application fee [PDF - 81 KB]
- BCESC Pre-Construction Energy Compliance Report
Archaeological approval from the Archaeological branch of BC before you can start any excavation work on your property. Approval must be received prior to issuance of your permit. You can request this information about your property here: www.archdatarequest.nrs.gov.bc.ca
More information to help you prepare a correct permit application submission. See below, or request hard copies from Inspection Services at the Municipal Hall.
- Residential Sample Drawings [PDF - 2 MB]
- Additional Permit Information [PDF - 131 KB]
- Building Bylaw [PDF - 642 KB]
- Rooms for Family Members Declaration [PDF - 56 KB]
If your project includes a Secondary Suite by way of an addition or conversion of non-living space to living space in an existing Single Family Dwelling, please refer to our Secondary Suite Checklist [PDF - 253 KB] and Secondary Suite Handout [PDF - 163 KB].
Secondary Suites are permitted in RS Zoned properties.
If you are wishing to construct a Rooms for Family Member in a new Single Family Dwelling, please contact Saanich Planning at 250-475-5471 or email@example.com.
- As of June 1, 2019 Step Code [PDF - 963 KB] will apply to all new residential and commercial buildings. It is recommended that applicants familiarize themselves with the requirements of the Step Code and the use of a registered energy advisor, energy models and air tightness testing.
- As of September 1, 2020 Electric Vehicle (EV) infrastructure requirements will apply to all new residential, institutional, commercial, multi-family and industrial buildings. Please see Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Requirements for more information.