If you are planning on building an entirely new building, a building permit is required. New building projects include;
- Single family dwelling
- Single family dwelling – Rooms for Family Members
- Single family dwelling – Secondary Suite
The links below are designed to assist you with your permit application. Each link includes the necessary information you need to submit to help speed up processing your permit.
The more complete your application is, the faster you will get your permit.
Application: Single Family Dwelling & Duplex [PDF - 193 KB]
A complete application includes:
- Five complete sets of plans.
- Completed application form.
- Current certificate of title dated within 30 days plus copies of any encumbrances registered against the parcel (Covenants, Rights-of-Way).
- Homeowner Warranty (HPO)
- Owner signature or if you’re not the owner, an Agent’s Authorization [PDF - 76 KB] from the owner.
- Application fee [PDF - 81 KB]
More information to help you prepare a correct permit application submission. See below, or request hard copies from Inspection Services at the Municipal Hall.
- Permit Plans Example [PDF - 267 KB]
- Additional Permit Information [PDF - 131 KB]
- Building & Plumbing Bylaw [PDF - 99 KB]
- Rooms for Family Members Declaration [PDF - 56 KB]
If you are wishing to construct a Secondary Suite by way of a renovation to an existing Single Family Dwelling, please refer to our Secondary Suite page for our guidelines and requirements.
Secondary Suites are permitted in RS Zoned properties.
If you are wishing to construct a Rooms for Family Member in a new Single Family Dwelling, please contact Saanich Planning at 250-475-5471 or email@example.com
For questions about trees and development, applying for tree permits and the Tree Preservation Bylaw.
Please note: As of June 1, 2019 Step Code [PDF - 772 KB] will apply to all new residential and commercial buildings. It is recommended that applicants familiarize themselves with the requirements of the Step Code and the use of a registered energy advisor, energy models and air tightness testing.