If you are planning on building or modifying a deck on a Single Family Dwelling or Duplex, a building permit is required.
Deck project types include, but are not limited to;
- add new deck
- reconstructing an existing deck (same dimensions and location)
- enlarging an existing deck
- decreasing an existing deck
The links below are designed to assist you with your permit application. Each link includes the necessary information you need to submit in order to help speed up processing your permit.
The more complete your application is, the faster you will get your permit.
A complete application includes:
- Five complete sets plans.
- Completed application form.
- Owner signature or if you’re not the owner, an Agent’s Authorization [PDF - 76 KB] from the owner.
- Application fee [PDF - 81 KB]
- Archaeological approval from the Archaeological branch of BC before you can start any excavation work on your property. Approval must be received prior to issuance of your permit. You can request this information about your property here: www.archdatarequest.nrs.gov.bc.ca
More information to help you prepare a correct permit application submission. See below, or request hard copies from Inspection Services at the Municipal Hall.
- Sample Residential Deck Design and Plan Requirements [PDF - 836 KB]
- Deck Venting [PDF - 138 KB]
- Additional Permit Information [PDF - 131 KB]
- Building Bylaw [PDF - 642 KB]
For questions about trees and development, applying for tree permits and the Tree Protection Bylaw contact Saanich Parks.