If you are planning on building an addition to an existing building, a building permit is required. Addition project types include, but are not limited to;
- enclosing a carport
- converting a non-living space to living space
- enclosing a deck
- additional floor area
- constructing any new exterior walls
The links below are designed to assist you with your permit application. Each link includes the information you need to help speed up processing your permit.
Remember, the more complete your application is, the faster you will get your permit.
A complete application includes:
- Five complete sets of plans.
- Completed application form.
- Current certificate of title dated within 30 days plus copies of any encumbrances registered against the parcel (Covenants, Rights-of-Way).
- Owner signature or if you’re not the owner, an Agent's Authorization [PDF - 41 KB] from the owner.
- Application fee [PDF - 81 KB]
- Archaeological approval from the Archaeological branch of BC before you can start any excavation work on your property. Approval must be received prior to issuance of your permit. You can request this information about your property here: www.archdatarequest.nrs.gov.bc.ca
For more information to help you prepare a correct permit application submission see below, or request hard copies from Inspection Services at the Municipal Hall.
- Residential Sample Drawings [PDF - 2 MB]
- Additional Permit Information [PDF - 131 KB]
- Building Bylaw [PDF - 642 KB]
- Rooms for Family Members Declaration [PDF - 56 KB]
Secondary Suites are permitted in RS Zoned properties.
If you are wishing to construct a Rooms for Family Member area by way of an addition or conversion of non-living space to living space to an existing Single Family Dwelling, please contact Saanich Planning at 250-475-5471 or email@example.com.
For questions about trees and development, applying for tree permits and the Tree Protection Bylaw contact Saanich Parks.