A by-election for Office of Councillor will be held on Saturday, September 23, 2017.
The elected candidate will serve for the remainder of a 4-year term ending in the fall of 2018.
It is the responsibility of candidates, elector organizations and those wishing to take part in the by-election process by means of advocacy, to comply with the requirements of the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act (LECFA). For further information, please visit our Library & Resource Centre.
To qualify as a candidate, you must:
- be 18 years of age or older on general voting day, Saturday, September 23, 2017 (born on or before September 23, 1999)
- be a Canadian citizen
- be a resident of BC for at least 6 months immediately preceding the day nomination papers are filed
- not disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from being nominated for, being elected to or holding the office, or be otherwise disqualified by law.
Candidate information packages [PDF - 538 KB] (including nomination and other candidacy forms) are available at the Legislative Services Division, 2nd floor, Saanich Municipal Hall, 770 Vernon Avenue. The Notice of Nomination provides further information. Please contact us by phone 250-475-1775, fax 250-475-5440, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time to file your nomination documents. They must be filed no later than 4 p.m. on Friday, August 18, 2017
- Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 9 a.m. - Nomination period begins
- Friday, August 18, 2017 at 4 p.m. - Nomination period ends
- Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 4 p.m. - Period to challenge candidate nominations ends
- Friday, August 25, 2017 - Deadlines for:
- Decision on challenges of candidate nominations
- Withdrawal of candidate
- Withdrawal of candidate endorsement by elector organization
- Submitting originals of nomination documents to the Chief Election Officer that had been delivered by fax or email
- Wednesday, September 13, 2017; 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. - Advance voting opportunity at the Municipal Hall
- Monday, September 18, 2017; 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. - Advance voting opportunity at the Municipal Hall
- Saturday, September 23, 2017; 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. - General voting day at:
- Cedar Hill Recreation Centre, 3220 Cedar Hill Road
- Gordon Head Recreation Centre, 4100 Lambrick Park Way
- G.R. Pearkes Recreation Centre, 3100 Tillicum Road
- Saanich Commonwealth Place, 4636 Elk Lake Road
- Friday, December 22, 2017; Deadline to file campaign financing disclosure statement