- Water services tie-ins are still in-progress
- Storm and sanitary mains and services are currently being installed on Freeman Ave, east of Shelbourne Street
- Curb, sidewalk and road resurfacing work is underway on McRae Ave, between Browning Street and Keats Street
- Curb, sidewalk and bike lane work is underway on Poplar Ave between Shelbourne Street and Richmond Road
- Coming up in the next couple weeks will be storm and sanitary main/service construction on Shelbourne Street
- Gas main construction between McRae Ave and Freeman Ave to start by the end of the month.
- Watermain tie-ins at the north end of the project. Some properties will experience intermittent water service disruptions. Staff will inform residents in advance.
- Watermain installation will continue in the southern half of the project.
- Watermain construction continuing in the area between Elm Street and Cedar Ave.
- Six Douglas fir trees will be removed to accommodate the gas main installation and future bike lanes and sidewalk. For every tree that must be removed, three will be replanted within the project area or elsewhere in Saanich, as per the Tree Protection Bylaw.
- Watermain construction will be starting on October 31. Work will be starting near Elm Street and heading south. This will involve regular lane closures including overnight. A minimum of one lane in each direction will be kept open however delays should be expected during regular working hours (7:00am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday).
- This is the start of underground utility construction, which will be follow by surface improvements. Regular lane closures as described above should be expected until summer of 2024.
- Some trees will be removed as part of this project; however, the design team has worked to minimize the impact in the final project plan.
- For every tree that must be removed, three will be replanted within the project area or elsewhere in Saanich, as per the Tree Protection Bylaw. Although the London Plane trees in phase two of the project area were not part of the original memorial tree plantation, Saanich acknowledges that these trees hold a historical significance for the community.
- Two London Plane trees were planted further north near Feltham Road, and approximately 20 are proposed to be planted in phase two of the project.
- We remain committed to improving active transportation along the Shelbourne corridor and thank you for your patience as we complete this important work.
- Underground utility locating is also underway.
- Water system installation is expected to start near the end of the month.
Don Mann Excavating started construction.