Burning fossil fuels (e.g. natural gas or oil) for space and water heating in our buildings is the second largest source of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in our community. You can make your home more climate-friendly by upgrading to renewable energy systems at time of replacement, and improving the efficiency of your home.
Incentives for renewable and efficiency upgrades
(Terms apply and rebates are subject to change.)
- Up to $3,700 for switching from fossil fuel space heating to a heat pump ($3000 from the Province for a central or mini-split heat pump, $350 from the CRD, and $350 from Saanich)
- Up to $500 Group Purchase Rebate for switching from fossil fuel systems to a heat pump
- $1,000 for electrical panel upgrades if required for fossil fuel to heat pump upgrades ($500 from Province and $500 from Saanich)
- Up to $4,350 for a combination space and water electric heat pump
- Up to $1,350 for an electric heat pump water heater ($1000 from Province, $350 from Saanich)
- Up to $2000 when upgrading from electric baseboards to a heat pump
- Up to $5,500 for insulation improvements
- Up to $100 per window and door upgrade
- $350 for a pre-retrofit EnerGuide Home Evaluation ($200 from Province, $150 from Saanich)
- Up to $2000 bonus rebates for accomplishing multiple upgrades
- FREE upgrades for income-qualifying homes (ECAP)
- GST/HST refund
- And more!
For more info, visit www.betterhomesbc.ca.
Why make the switch from natural gas or oil to a heat pump?
- If switching from oil, you will save between 40 – 75% on your energy bills each year; homes switching from natural gas will have similar energy costs with a heat pump.
- Dramatically reduce your home’s greenhouse gas emissions.
- Get comfortable and cost effective heating and cooling all year round.
- Improve indoor air quality with a heat pump’s air filtration system.
- If switching from oil, you will eliminate the risk of a costly oil tank spill to your property and the environment.
- Learn more about heat pumps.
Free, expert advice from CleanBC Better Homes Energy Coach Service
CleanBC Better Homes is BC's online hub for homeowners to access information, incentives and support to reduce energy use and carbon pollution in new and existing homes. Right now there are tens of thousands of dollars of rebates available across a wide variety of retrofits, so use this step-by-step Rebate Guide to get started, or check out the Rebate Program Table for a summary of all the rebates available!
A free Energy Coach Service is available through a phone and email hotline if you have questions about specific rebate programs, home energy upgrade options, EnerGuide home evaluations, or if you just don’t know where to start. Contact the free Energy Coach Service at 1-844-881-9790, email@example.com or visit Betterhomesbc.ca
For resources and incentives for commercial, institutional, and multi-unit residential buildings, go to CleanBC Better Buildings at BetterBuildingBC.ca.