Find out about upcoming and past events for Saanich’s Climate Plan.
No upcoming events currently. Sign up for e-news updates to learn about the latest Climate Action news in Saanich.
On January 28, 2020, Council adopted the 2020 Climate Plan: 100% Renewable and Resilient Saanich.
Read the Climate Plan [PDF - 6 MB] and supporting documents:
- January 9 Staff report
- Community greenhouse gas emissions (Territorial [PDF - 2 MB] and Consumption-Based [PDF - 1 MB])
- Climate Plan Engagement Reports (Phase 1 [PDF - 4 MB], Phase 2, [PDF - 7 MB] and Phase 3 [PDF - 3 MB]).
- Saanich Climate Risk Assessment Report [PDF - 529 KB]
- August 2019 staff report on updated climate targets [PDF - 583 KB]
- September 2019 staff report on climate emergency response accelerated actions
- Climate Plan Backgrounder Series [PDF - 3 MB]
- Updated Terms of Reference [PDF - 876 KB]
Thank you to everyone who has contributed throughout the development of the updated climate plan throughout three phases of public engagement, described below.
Phase 3 Public Engagement Summary
Thank you to those who participated in the third and final phase of engagement. The third phase of engagement gave community members and stakeholders an opportunity to review the draft Climate Plan and provide feedback via an online survey, helping to ensure that the Climate Plan truly reflects our community’s values and aspirations and helps achieve our climate goals.
Read the results in the Phase 3 Engagement Report. [GV1]
In Phase 3, public and stakeholders were invited to to:
- Read the draft Saanich Climate Plan [PDF - 3 MB]. (Please note: we are requesting feedback about content. Graphics, layout, and copy editing work will be completed in the finalized Climate Plan that will be presented to Council.) No time to read the whole plan? Read the brochure! [PDF - 4 MB]
- Answer the online survey and/or send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Phase 2 Engagement Summary
Thank you to all those who participated in the second phase of engagement through attending a workshop, open house or presentation, completing a survey, submitting recommendations, or speaking with Saanich staff at community events.
Feedback received in the second phase of engagement informed the development of the draft plan presented in the third and final phase of engagement in fall 2019.
Read the results in the Phase 2 Enagement Report.
View Phase 2 Engagement Materials here:
- Phase 2 Climate Plan Boards [PDF - 6 MB]
- Climate Friendly Homes Presentation Slides [PDF - 3 MB]
- Electric Vehicles Presentation Slides [PDF - 620 KB]
- Phase 2 Climate Plan Survey [PDF - 1 MB]
The grand draw prize winner for Phase 2 Engagement is Sheila, a Saanich resident who is looking forward to getting back on her bike!
Phase 1 Engagement Summary
Thank you to all those who participated in our first phase of engagement throughout 2018 – we were delighted by the attendance at our open houses and workshops, the number of surveys completed and the valuable input to the development of the plan from all involved.
Feedback received in the first phase of engagement informed the development of draft strategies and actions to achieve both the climate targets and to address the projected climate changes for the region. These draft strategies formed the basis of a second phase of engagement in Spring 2019.
Read the results of Phase 1 Enagement in the Climate Plan Phase 1 Engagement Report [PDF - 4 MB].
You can view the Phase 1 engagement materials here:
- Resilient Saanich Risk Assessment Report [PDF - 529 KB]
- Climate Plan Open House Boards [PDF - 8 MB]
- Climate Plan Public Workshop Climate Mitigation Presentation [PDF - 19 MB]
- Climate Plan Public Workshop Climate Adaptation Presentation [PDF - 2 MB]
- Climate Plan Council Check-In December 3, 2018, Presentation [PDF - 4 MB]
The prize draw for Phase 1 survey, gift certificates at a local bike store, has been awarded to Saanich residents John and Bernice who have cycled for many years, and have many young cyclists in their family.
Fall 2018 Free Public Workshops
Thursday, November 29th
Saturday, December 1st
These well-attended free events included an Open House, Interactive Workshops on Mitigation (reducing our climate impact) and Adaptation (responding to a changing climate), and tours of the renewable energy upgrades at Gordon Head Recreation Centre.
Saanich Talks: Our community in a changing climate
Our kickoff event was Saanich Talks: Our Community in a Changing Climate on Monday, May 7th. Thanks to everyone who came out! For those that missed it, here are the presentations from our fabulous speakers.
Dr. Thomas Pedersen: Saanich, Climate Change Impacts, and Opportunities [PDF - 4 MB]
Dr. Jennie Moore: Saanich’s ‘Footprint’ and what we can do about it [PDF - 1000 KB]
One Planet Saanich
Wed, June 20th
Monday, July 16th, 2018 - Creating a One Planet Community - Special Livestream Event
2018 Community Festivals
- Sunday, June 17th: Car Free Day
- Sunday, July 1st: Gorge Canada Day Picnic
- Sunday, July 8th: Saanich Strawberry Festival
- Sunday, August 12th: Cadboro Bay Festival
- And many more!