Public and stakeholders are invited to contribute to a new Saanich Climate Plan to:
- transition as a corporation and a community to 100% renewable energy by 2050,
- achieve an 80% reduction in GHGs by 2050 (from 2007 levels), and
- prepare for and adapt to a changing climate.
How to Get Involved
Thank you to all those who participated in our first phase of engagement throughout 2018 – we were delighted by the attendance at our open houses and workshops, the number of surveys completed and the valuable input to the development of the plan from all involved.
We are currently reviewing all of the information from the first phase of engagement and this will be used to inform the development of draft strategies and actions to achieve both the climate targets and to address the projected climate changes for the region. These draft strategies will form the basis of a second phase of engagement in Spring 2019. More information about the Phase 1 events, the presentations and open house boards are available here.
To learn more:
- Climate Projections and Adaptation
- Renewable Energy
- Consumption and Waste
- Leading by Example
Climate Plan Survey is now closed
The survey is now closed. Thank you to everyone who participated. The prize draw for gift certificates at a local bike store has been awarded to Saanich residents John and Bernice who have cycled for many years, and have many young cyclists in their family.
Current Climate Plans
Climate Action Plan [PDF - 1.9 MB]: Sets targets and actions to reduce Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions.
Climate Adaptation Plan [PDF - 1.9 MB]: Identifies ways we can adapt to climate changes.
2010 Climate Action Plan Highlights
The Climate Action Plan set targets and identified actions to reduce both community and municipal GHG emissions.
- Reduce municipal fleet fuel consumption.
- Promote energy alternatives like solar hot water in buildings.
- Implement a greener garbage collection program.
Our 2020 GHG Reduction Targets:
- 33% in the community.
- 50% for municipal operations.
We will continue to undertake projects that move us towards these 2020 targets whilst the climate plan is updated throughout 2018.
2010 Climate Adaptation Plan Highlights
Adaptation refers to activities intended to reduce unavoidable climate change effects.
We face many climate change impacts:
- Sea-level changes.
- Severe storms and bigger precipitation events
- Seasonal water scarcity
- Health impacts
- Ecological impacts.
- Food security challenges.
This plan looks to identify all impacts and the actions we need to take to respond to a changing climate in our community.
The following reports released by the Capital Regional District outline the most recent information regarding climate changes in our region:
- Climate Projections for the Capital Region – 2017
- Coastal Sea Level Rise Risk Assessment Report – 2015
Saanich publicly reports its progress to several stakeholders:
- District of Saanich residents and Council through our Annual and Financial Reporting.
- Province of BC through our annual Climate Action Revenue Incentive Program (CARIP).
- Internationally through the CDP - Climate Disclosure Project.
- And more - see the Progress Reports page for details
In 2013, Saanich was awarded top honours in the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) Partners for Climate Protection (PCP) program. The Municipality has reached five milestones for both corporate and community programs, making it the 8th municipality in Canada to achieve this status and the first on Vancouver Island.
See how Saanich is leading by example.