The Housing Strategy Task Force (HSTF) was formed to act as an advisory body to support the development of a Housing Strategy, a 10-year strategy that that will direct how we move forward to improve housing outcomes and support residents of all ages, incomes, and abilities.
The main purpose of the Task Force was to provide Council with recommendations for strategies and actions designed to achieve greater housing supply, affordability and diversity, and accommodate a broad range of community housing needs now and in the future.
The Task force met thirteen times from September 2020 to February 2021 and was composed of a diverse range of individuals with relevant experience and qualifications to serve on the Task Force. Recommendations from the Task Force are compiled in a Final Report [PDF - 2 MB] and are anticipated to form the core content of the Housing Strategy. The Task Force identified top priorities for immediate action and a series of supporting principles, strategies and actions based on a 10-year time horizon. The recommendations are organized under seven key themes:
- Increasing affordable and supportive housing;
- Promoting and protecting rental housing;
- Supporting housing diversity and increasing supply;
- Reducing barriers to housing development;
- Strengthening partnerships;
- Enhancing community engagement of housing needs and initiatives; and
- Understanding housing demand and addressing land speculation.
The Task Force report was presented to Saanich Council at a Special Committee of the Whole meeting on March 22 (see saanich.ca/agendas).
Task Force Information
- The Task Force Report was presented to Council on March 22, 2020 (see saanich.ca/agendas).
- Task Force Recommendations Report [PDF - 2 MB]
- Task Force Terms of Reference [PDF - 240 KB]
- HSTF Members
View the previous schedule/agendas/minutes for this project.