Non-Medical Cannabis retail sales in Saanich
License applications for the retail sale of non-medical cannabis are submitted to the Province through the Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB). As part of their license process, the Province sends a referral to the District of Saanich. In addition to the Provincial licence, an applicant must also apply to the district of Saanich for a Cannabis/Liquor Licence Referral Application.
Where a referral is received from the Province, staff review the referral to determine if the use is permitted through zoning. If the use is permitted by zoning, staff would process the referral based on the Non-Medical Cannabis Retail Stores Administrative Policy [PDF - 15 KB]. Owners/occupiers within a 180 metre radius would be notified of the application. The application would also be referred to the applicable School District, Saanich Police, and the community association. Applicants are expected to discuss their application with the community association and hold at least one information meeting. A report to Council including recommendations would be prepared for consideration by Council. The report would address each of the guidelines contained in the Administrative Policy similar to the current process for liquor stores. A copy of the report and Council resolution would then be forwarded to the Province. If Council resolves to support the application, the final decision rests with the Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch.
In addition to the Provincial licence a licencee must also apply to the District of Saanich for a Cannabis/Liquor Licence Referral Application.
All application must be complete and contain:
- Letter addressing policy requirements, including:Proposed location
- Hours of Operation
- Proposed signage
- Parking requirements
- Proposed Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED)
- Community Consultation
- Five complete sets of plans (Site Plan, Floor Plans, Elevations, Cross Sections, Landscape Plan (if required))
- Site Plan must include distances, closest lot line to closest lot line, from elementary school, middle school, secondary school, playground, community recreation centre and any other non-medical cannabis retail store/Liquor retail store.
- Completed Application Form
- Owners Authorization
- Copy of current (no older than 30 days) Certificate of Title
- $2000 Fees (Non-refundable)
- Provincial Website: Cannabis Clarity
- Map of Existing Canabis Retail Stores in BC
- Cannabis Act (Bill C-45)
- Cannabis Control and Licensing Act
- Cannabis Distribution Act
- Cannabis Licensing Regulation
- Cannabis Control Regulation
- Cannabis Control and Licensing Transitional Regulation
- CRD Clean Air Bylaw