On January 31, 2022, Saanich Council approved a four-year funding program [PDF - 1 MB] for the Housing Strategy. The approval of financial and staff resources allows for the immediate implementation of initial priorities.
Significant actions for 2022 and 2023 include:
- Investigate non-market housing opportunities and partnerships
- Develop a “missing middle” infill housing program
- Support Centre, Corridor and Village planning
- Undertake a land capacity analysis
- Develop an annual monitoring program
- Support new purpose-built rental housing
- Establish a tenant assistance program.
The Housing Strategy includes 22 strategies and 73 actions that form the basis of a 10-year framework to these focus areas:
- Increasing the supply of affordable and supportive housing
- Promoting and protecting rental housing
- Supporting housing diversity and increasing supply
- Reducing barriers to housing development
- Strengthening partnerships
- Enhancing community engagement
- Understanding housing demand and addressing land speculation.
The Saanich Housing Needs Report (2020) is an important foundational research document to the Housing Strategy. The report provides baseline information on existing housing stock and community demographic data, and projects the number and size of housing units to meet existing demand and future growth over the next five years.
A healthy housing supply meets the needs of Saanich residents across all parts of the housing spectrum.