Peninsula and Area Agricultural Commission
Terms of Reference
An advisory committee whose mandate is to advise the Municipalities of Central Saanich, Metchosin, North Saanich, Saanich, Sidney and the Juan de Fuca Electoral Area on matters involving agriculture, and, to facilitate the development of programs for implementation of the Saanich Peninsula Agricultural Strategy objectives and keep the Municipalities advised of these programs.
For up-to-date information on produce availability, farm events and other news, check the website for the Southern Vancouver Island Direct Farm Marketing Association. In addition, the Peninsula Agricultural Commission has their own website which is currently being updated.
The Committee meets once per month on the second Thursday evening.
Agendas and Minutes
Peninsula Agricultural Commission Application Form
10 Citizens appointed by the member Councils
Non Voting Members
1 member of Council from each of Central Saanich, Metchosin, North Saanich, Saanich and Sidney and one representative of the Juan de Fuca Electoral Area
1 member of the Agricultural Land Commission
1 member of the Saanich Peninsula Water Commission
1 staff member, Agriculture Canada
1 staff member, BC Ministry of Agriculture and Food
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The purpose of the Commission is to facilitate and conduct programs for implementation of the Saanich Peninsula Agricultural Strategic Objectives and to keep the municipalities advised of these programs. The Commission will report regularly by providing minutes to the sponsoring municipalities following meetings of the Commission. When requested, the Commission will advise the sponsoring municipalities on matters involving agriculture that pertain to the Strategy.
- The Commission consists of ten citizen members ("the members") appointed by the Municipal Councils of the Peninsula, ("the Councils"). Appointments shall be for a three-year period and staggered so that three appointments are made each year. A member may serve no more than two consecutive three-year terms.
- Each of the Councils will annually appoint a representative to act as a liaison and non-voting member to the Commission. The Commission will annually appoint non-voting representatives from the Provincial and Federal Ministries of Agriculture, and the Agricultural Land Commission. The Commission may, from time to time, invite other persons to participate in meetings and projects of the Commission.
- The Chair shall ensure that a public notice is issued annually (before December) seeking new members to fill vacancies on the Commission. A nominating committee, comprised of the Chair, Council liaisons and a BC Ministry of Agriculture representative, shall recommend members to be appointed and their terms. The Councils from the four sponsoring municipalities shall appoint the new Commission members during January of each year.
- Members, including the Chair, are voting members. Resolutions of the Commission shall be proposed, but need not be seconded, and shall be decided by majority of the members present. All votes on resolutions will be recorded as in favour or opposed, with abstentions recorded as a vote in favour. A quorum is a majority of the voting members.
- The public is invited to attend all meetings of the Commission but may only participate by invitation or with the consent of the Chair.
- The Commission shall meet monthly throughout the year and determine a regular meeting schedule at the first meeting following the appointment of new members in each calendar year.
- The Commission shall nominate and elect annually, at the first meeting following the appointment of new members, a Chair, a Vice-Chair, and a Treasurer.
- The Chair shall officiate at meetings, and in his absence the Vice-Chair shall officiate, and in the absence of both, the members present shall appoint a chair.
- The Chair shall ensure that minutes of each meeting are taken, circulated and approved, and that a suitable system of files and records of the Commission's affairs is maintained.
- Meetings may be arranged at the call of the Chair provided that all members are advised in the usual manner not less than 48 hours in advance of the meeting or the requirement of notice is waived at the meeting by unanimous vote.
- The Treasurer shall ensure that a proper record of all receipts and disbursements on behalf of the Commission is maintained, that a bank account is maintained, and shall report regularly to the Commission. Any two of the Chair, Vice-Chair and Treasurer shall be signatories for the banking affairs of the Commission.
- Vacancies in the membership of the Commission shall be filled at the time of annual appointments or as required.
- The members may, by resolution at a regular meeting, declare vacant the appointment of any member who has missed three consecutive regular meetings.
- These rules may be amended by majority vote of the members.
- Any changes to the Terms of Reference must be approved by the sponsoring municipalities.