Planning the future of Haro Woods!
Public Participation Events
Final Open House (April 17, 2018)
Check out the display boards with info about the draft plan and options for the trails and bike use in the woods.
Click here to see the results of the related survey.
Draft Management Plan Open House (November 9, 2017)
We held an open house to share the draft Haro Woods Management Plan. This latest draft contains information regarding the benefits of outdoor play (page 3).
- Review the draft management plan survey results [PDF - 325 KB]
- Final Public Event Notice [PDF - 548 KB]
Review of draft Haro Woods Vision and Goals (January 28, 2017)
Community members and Saanich staff had a conversation about Haro Woods and the draft vision and goals on January 28, 2017. You can view a summary of the event [PDF - 582 KB] as well as the results of a related survey [PDF - 112 KB] that ran from January 28 to February 28, 2017.
View the supporting documents:
- Draft Agenda [PDF - 101 KB]
- Presentation Slides [PDF - 1.9 MB]
- What is a Vision, Goal and Action? [PDF - 89 KB]
- Public Event Information Boards [PDF - 1.4 MB]
Draft Vision Statement Community Consultation (October 1, 2016)
On Saturday October 1 we held our first event to help create a draft vision statement:
"Haro Woods is a healthy, functioning urban forest that welcomes all respectful users.”
A related survey ran from October 1 to October 31, 2016:
- Haro Woods Park Management Plan Survey - Question Responses [PDF - 92 KB]
- Haro Woods Park Management Plan Survey - Summary of Open-Ended Questions [PDF - 76 KB]
See other results [PDF - 1.8 MB] from this public event.
Final Vision Statment
Further refinement at the January 28, 2017, public event and by the advisory group produced the final vision statement:
"Haro Woods is a healthy urban forest. It is a functioning ecosystem that welcomes respectful use."
Haro Woods Management Plan Timeline
Following our latest open house and public survey about the draft management plan, staff have identified a need for more community conversations about potential recreational uses, in particular biking. Stay tuned for next steps as we develop a plan to address this challenging topic. Timing of presentation to Council is uncertain at this time, and will depend on further information and conversations in the community.
About Haro Woods
This property is in the Cadboro Bay neighbourhood. The District of Saanich owns two of the four parcels collectively referred to as Haro Woods. These two parcels total 5.75 ha (14.2 ac) and are P4-N zoned: Natural Park.
A third parcel (1.56 ha/3.9 ac) is owned by the CRD, and the final piece (1.46 ha/3.6 ac) is owned by the University of Victoria.
Haro Woods Park is an important environmental and recreational asset for the community. Saanich Parks will be working with the public and stakeholders over the next 18 months to create a Management Plan for the park. This will establish the park’s guiding vision, and natural areas management and recreation strategy.
To ensure that the management plan reflects the community’s values, Saanich Parks has formed an Advisory Group. It consists of representatives from the community and other key stakeholder groups. The group assists with public engagement and research, and will act as a sounding board for ideas and potential options as the draft management plan is developed.
Advisory Group meeting notes:
- April 4, 2018 [PDF - 860 KB]
- January 29, 2018 [PDF - 62 KB]
- October 12, 2017 [PDF - 148 KB]
- July 10, 2017 [PDF - 217 KB]
- May 5, 2017 [PDF - 538 KB]
- April 10, 2017 [PDF - 203 KB]
- March 23, 2017 [PDF - 472 KB]
- November 7, 2016 [PDF - 317 KB]
- August 30, 2016 [PDF - 73 KB]
- June 21, 2016 [PDF - 135 KB]
- May 19, 2016 [PDF - 164 KB]