The improvements to Gore-Peace Memorial Park are done. New plantings are in and with some older bushes and trees cleaned up, the site lines are much better!
Improvements include removal of cedar hedging, removal of invasive ivy and holly trees, planting replacement trees and replanting the bed.
Gore-Peace Memorial Park was dedicated in 1919 when a memorial ceremony was held on July 19 to honour the young men from Saanich killed in WWI. A peace memorial made out of a granite block was unveiled in the park on November 11, 1957.
The memorial was relocated from the park to the municipal hall after a 5-2 council vote in May 1970. For more information visit the Saanich Archives.
Photos of the park in 1959: