Wilkinson Road corridor improvements now complete in the District of Saanich
June 7, 2017
For immediate release
Saanich, BC — Preserving, protecting and enhancing our natural landscapes while promoting regional connectivity is critical for the health and well-being of Canadians and our environment. It allows families to access parks and other amenities, share unique experiences, create fond memories and have the quality of life that Canadians want and expect.
Thanks to support from the federal Gas Tax Fund, important upgrades to the Wilkinson Road corridor are now complete. The work included replacing a 75-year-old bridge across the Colquitz River. As well, bike lanes, curbs and sidewalks have been added along Wilkinson Road. The Colquitz River Trail has been extended roughly one-half kilometre from Casa Linda Drive to Wilkinson Road. Finally, streamside enhancements and a new rain garden to treat stormwater will help support the surrounding environment.
The Government of Canada contributed $1,750,000 to this project, while the District of Saanich contributed $4,750,000 towards the $6,500,000 total project cost. With the final touches complete, this project will help ensure that families and residents continue to cycle and walk this corridor for generations to come.
The Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities -
“I am pleased to see that cyclists and pedestrians now have a new and safer option thanks to the completion of Wilkinson Road corridor improvements. The Government of Canada is proud to invest in infrastructure projects that not only create good jobs and showcase our country’s natural beauty, but build the cities where the middle class can grow, prosper and play.”
Richard Atwell, Mayor of the District of Saanich -
"This is a significant infrastructure project for Saanich, replacing an aging bridge along a vital roadway while enhancing access for pedestrians and cyclists to the scenic Colquitz River Trail system. Saanich appreciates the Government of Canada's financial assistance that has improved safety along this important commuter network within our community."
Murry Krause, President, Union of BC Municipalities -
“These upgrades to the Wilkinson Road corridor will improve travel for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians. I am very pleased to see the support provided by the federal Gas Tax Fund to replace aging infrastructure in BC communities.”
- The Government of Canada is providing over $265 million in 2017/18 in indexed funding for local government infrastructure projects across British Columbia through the federal Gas Tax Fund.
- The Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM) administers the federal Gas Tax Fund in British Columbia in partnership with the Government of Canada and the Province of British Columbia.
- The federal Gas Tax Fund provides Canadian municipalities with a permanent, predictable and indexed source of long-term funding.
- Government of Canada’s $180 billion+ infrastructure plan in Budget 2017
- Federal infrastructure investments in British Columbia
- Federal Gas Tax Fund
- Wilkinson Bridge/Colquitz River Trail project page
- 30 -
District of Saanich