District completes first phase of Moving Saanich Forward
May 3, 2017
For Immediate Release
After three months of technical analysis and public engagement, the District of Saanich has completed the first phase of Moving Saanich Forward. More than 2,000 residents have been involved in the process to date, attending events, interacting on social media and completing surveys.
Through the public engagement process a number of key themes emerged, including:
- 41% of survey respondents walk and bike to exercise or have fun.
- Health is the top reasons why survey respondents say they walk and bike.
- Gaps in the network is the top barrier to walking and biking according to survey respondents.
- 32% of survey respondents would be encouraged to walk more often if there were more trails and greenways.
- 90% of workshop participants said a 7% increase in the mode share of walking and biking trips by 2036 is too low.
What we heard through the public engagement process will be incorporated as the project transitions into its second phase, developing a vision, goals and targets for active transportation in Saanich.
To report back on the results of the first phase, two reports have been prepared: Discussion Paper #1 – Baseline Conditions Report [PDF - 13.7 MB] and Engagement Summary #1 [PDF - 9.8 MB].
The Moving Saanich Forward team is now working to develop a draft pedestrian and bicycle network plan as well as recommendations for the draft Active Transportation Plan. Planning is also underway for the second round of public engagement. This spring, 2017 the Moving Saanich Forward team will host a community roadshow, stopping in six Saanich neighbourhoods this May.
The community roadshow provides an opportunity to focus on exploring opportunities to improve active transportation options at a neighbourhood level. The stops on the roadshow include:
- Road Show Stop #1: Tuesday, May 9, 2017
Gordon Head Recreation Centre | 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Road Show Stop #2: Wednesday, May 10, 2017
Broadmead Village | 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Road Show Stop #3: Thursday, May 11, 2017
Pearkes Recreation Centre | 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Road Show Stop #4: Sunday, May 14, 2017
Uptown Plaza (Courtyard – near Walmart) | 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Road Show Stop #5: Tuesday, May 16, 2017
Cedar Hill Recreation Centre | 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Road Show Stop #6: Wednesday, May 17, 2017
Red Barn Market | 12 p.m. to 3 p.m.
On behalf of the Moving Saanich Forward team, the District would like to thank all community members for their participation and valued input into the Active Transportation Plan so far.
Through the Moving Saanich Forward initiative, the District is developing a plan to guide the development of safe, attractive and convenient active transportation options for people of all ages and abilities over the next 30 years. The final Active Transportation Plan will include policies and actions that will guide investments in active transportation infrastructure and support programs over the short and long term for residents of all ages and abilities.
For more information on the Moving Saanich Forward process or to get involved, please visit saanich.ca/movingsaanichfwd. Find us on social using #movingsaanichfwd and by following us on Facebook: facebook.com/saanich.bc and Twitter: twitter.com/Saanich.
Director of Engineering