First elected in November 2014, Fred lives in Saanich with his wife Cathy, sons David, Luke and Carl and two family dogs. He has a passion for an exceptional Saanich that is economically vibrant, affordable, sustainable and environmentally resilient.
New on Council, Fred’s experience includes a previous 12-year history in Saanich of working effectively with community, environmental, watershed and local food groups. His private sector experience includes 20+ years operating a successful publishing business that develops business-to-business networking tools in industry sectors including Renewable Energy, Food and Health.
His Ph.D. in biomedical sciences at the Banting and Best Department of Medical Research in Toronto was completed on a U.K. Commonwealth Scholarship. Started his initial career as a schoolteacher; Fred brings a practical informative approach to communications.
Having lived and worked in Tokyo, Japan, the UK (London, Manchester, Sutton) and several cities in Canada (Victoria, Halifax, Toronto, Guelph, Georgetown), Fred benefits from a broad national and international perspective in looking at our local and regional issues.
Fred believes that the voice of Municipal Governments matter, Consequently, he sees that conversations on key issues of the day need to be raised with higher levels of government. Consequently in this first term on Council, Fred has worked with his colleagues to take several successful policy initiatives on housing supply and affordability to the Provincial and Federal levels.
Locally this has been directly through Saanich Council and the Capital Regional District. It has also been through processes with our municipal associations that harness the combined voices of Mayors and Councilors in BC and across Canada. In result, several successful initiatives have been raised effectively though The Union of British Columbia Municipalities (UBCM), The Association of Vancouver Island Coastal Communities (AVICC) and the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM).
Fred cares about the future of Saanich. In addition to the normal wide range of municipal services and their costs and efficiency of delivery, he believes this includes improving housing affordability and supply, growth in our jobs and local economy and enhancing our food, environmental and cultural security.
This first 23 months, Fred was instrumental in Council’s resolution of the Mount Douglas Cattle Farm issue and Councils ongoing work on detached secondary suites, recognition of First Nations, human trafficking, the removal of micro plastics, support for Pop for Parks, and Councils support for Pride Week and the LGBTQ sub committee, raising concerns to the Federal Government about the Trans Pacific Partnership and other community initiatives.
Fred’s sons Luke and Carl are working their way through Victoria University. His oldest son David is in the workforce after Camosun College. Consequently, Fred shares the hopes of other residents and parents for a successful future for this generation of younger people. This is combined with his belief in helping our older generations succeed in ageing well. Fred is also interested in the physical health and the mental wellness of our residents and our communities.
In summary, Fred believes in working productively with others so that Saanich can work to better accommodate the diverse, mixed age, well employed and well fed, resilient population we require for our future prosperity.
Thank you for your attention in reading these thoughts. If you have suggestions or advice, please feel very welcome to contact me.
Saanich Council Appointments:
- Chair, Personnel Standing Committee
- Council Liaison, University-Municipal Council Liaison Group
Capital Regional District Appointments:
- Vice Chair, Regional Housing Trust Fund Commission
- Commissioner, Regional Water Supply Commission
- Director Alternate, CRD Board
- Director Alternate, Te'Mexw Treaty Advisory Committee
- Vice Chair, Connections Place, Community Mental Health Wellness Project (2016-current)
- Member, Municipal League of Ladies and Gentlemen (2016-current)
- Chair, Saanich Community Association Network (2011-2014)
- Founder, Prospect Lake Local Food & Country Market (2011-2014)
- President/Director Saanich Legacy Foundation (2011-2014)
- President/Cofounder, Prospect Lake Preservation Society (2006-2014)
- President/VP/Volunteer, Prospect Lake District Community Association (PLDCA) (2003-2014)
- Director, Peninsula Streams Society (2012-2014)
- Member, Healthy Saanich Advisory Committee (2011-2014)
- Cofounder, Prospect Lake Water Users Community (2007-current)
- University of Victoria, Community Association Liaison Committee, SCAN Liaison (2012-2014)
- Co-facilitator, $390,000 fundraising for renovation of PLDCA Hall (2006-2009)
- Cofounder-Chief Instructor, PLDCA Community Aikido Club (2004-2015)
- Founder, Contact Canada(®), publisher of Canadian, B2B networking directories
- Founder/ Senior Consultant, Contact International Inc. for business opportunities in Japan, Europe, Canada, USA.
- Industry Analyst, Sensus Investment Reports, Daiwa Shoken, Tokyo, Japan
- Science Writer, Nippon Kayaku, Tokyo, Japan
- Doctoral Research Associate, St. Michaels Hospital, Toronto, ON
- Teacher, Greenshaw Coeducational Academy, Sutton, Surrey, UK
- Teacher, Rodborough Coeducational Middle School, Godalming, Surrey, UK
Business Development Networking Directories
- Renewable Energy & CleanTech Canada
- Environmental Resources Canada
- BC Food Processors Directory
- Natural Health Products Industry Guide
- Canadian Food & Grocery Industry Guide
- Canadian Seafood Buyers Guide
- Medical Technologies Canada
- LifeSciences Canada
- Drug Development & OutSourcing Guide
- View digital formats www.contactcanada.com
- Commonwealth Scholarship (UK) for Doctoral studies in Canada
- Ph.D., Univ. of Toronto, Banting & Best Dept. of Medical Research, Toronto, ON
- M.Sc, Department Human Kinetics, Univ. of Guelph, ON
- Bachelor of Education, Biology & Physical Education, Victoria University of Manchester, UK
- High School Teaching Certificate, Padgate College, Warrington, UK
- 23 peer reviewed scientific papers & abstracts
- 8th Dan Shihan, Aikido Yoshinkan, Tokyo, Japan World Headquarters
- Member, Sutton Youth Council, Sutton, Surrey, England
- Captain, New Inn All Stars Rugby and Cricket Teams, Sutton
- 6th Form Chairman, Greenshaw High School, Sutton