The Legislative Services Department includes the following:
- Provides real estate and appraisal services to Council and departments.
- Buys and sells property on Saanich’s behalf.
- Manages all leased or rented properties.
- Negotiates the acquisition of rights-of-way.
- Gives legal advice to Council and other departments.
- Prepares bylaws, contracts and real estate documentation for Saanich.
- Manages all types of litigation including damage claims, bylaw prosecutions and labour arbitrations.
- Manages information and support services for Council, the Advisory Committees of Council and the Board of Variance.
- Administers the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy legislation and the corporate records program.
- Conducts municipal elections, by-elections, referenda and legislated elector approval processes.
- Manages the Archives, which collects and preserves Saanich’s documentary heritage and makes this information available to the public.
Risk Management Division
- Protects Saanich’s assets, employees, volunteers and citizens from loss, damage or injury.
- Promotes policies and procedures designed to prevent incidents from occurring and reduce the effects of incidents.
Strategic Planning Division
- Manages the strategic planning and progress reporting processes.
- Undertakes other initiatives like the citizen and business surveys which guide decision-making.