What is a Local Area Service?
These are services that residents usually greatly desire but do not meet our normal criteria for funding.
- Sidewalks on residential roads
- Storm drains
- Street lighting
- Underground power lines
- Water mains
Local Area Services are usually initiated by a resident petition.
- Our Community Charter details this process.
Want to initiate one?
E-mail the Engineering Department. We can offer advice and help from the start.
- 50 per cent of the property owners who benefit must sign the petition.
- This number must represent more than 50 per cent of the total assessed values for land and improvements of the benefiting properties.
- We determine which properties benefit from the service.
These services benefit a very distinct area. Therefore, it is those who benefit most who cover the cost, either in whole or in part.
We recover some or all of the costs based on the class of service.
Service can be paid for in two ways:
- On a parcel basis.
- On a frontage basis.
Local Service Taxes
We recover service costs from each benefiting property through Local Service Taxes.
Tax Payment Options
- At the first instance when the service is installed.
- On the annual property tax notice; this is typically split up over 15 – 20 years.
- The Province sets cost interest rates on an annual basis.
If you have any questions about the Local Area Services, please contact the Development Division of the Engineering Department at 250-475-5570.